In less than three cases I have encountered women suffering from depression as a result of injuries they received from their lovers. During my encounter the patient was a mother of two young children and she was barely in her late 20s. The patient by the name Jane had been admitted with secondary degree burns after her husband of three years sprinkled acid on her hands after going out with her friends without informing her. The patient was distraught mentally and in pain from her hands. However, in the hospital manifest the patient had reported that she received the acid burns after accidentally mistaking an acidic liquid for water. After inquiring further the patient revealed that it was not an accident but her husband had done it intentionally to punish her for going out with her friends when he was not around. Further, she revealed that he had beaten her up severally before but she cannot report him because he is the bread winner in the house and he always threatens her that he will take the children from her.
Strategies taken to advocate for the patient
Most nurses are reluctant in this case and leave the matter to social services agents. However, it is important for nurses to intervene when these patients are under there care and ensure that these patients issues and privacy is protected. After assessing her to assess whether there were any other injuries I was able to talk to her on the importance of reporting the actions of her husband for his actions and referring to the patient on organizations and government agencies that can help secure her children from her abusive husband and the danger of keeping quiet regarding her ordeal to her children and herself. Talking to Jane and referring her to judicial officers and organizations that can provide her support both financially and shelter for her children before she can be able to secure a job relieved her depression.
Considered legal and ethical implications when providing care for patients this specific situation
Legal and ethical considerations are important to ensure that the patient only uses legal channels to deal with the matter and following up the situation to ensure that she gets justice. The ethical consideration assessed is the need to provide financial support for the mother and also maintain privacy regarding her ordeal to protect her further from depression (Vinay et al., 2016).
Steiner, L. M. (2012). Why domestic violence victims dont leave. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/leslie_morgan_steiner_why_domestic_violence_victims_don_t_leave?language=en#t-58672
Spilman, S. K., Smith, H. L., Schirmer, L. L., & Tonui, P. M. (2015). Evaluation and treatment of depression in adult trauma patients. Journal of Trauma Nursing, 22(1), 1722. doi:10.1097/JTN.0000000000000102
Haugan, G., Innstrand, S. T., & Moksnes, U. K. (2013). The effect of nurse-patient interaction on anxiety and depression in cognitively intact nursing home patients. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 22(1516), 21922205. doi:10.1111/jocn.12072
Vinay, B., Lakshmi, J., & Math, S. B. (2016). Ethical and Legal Issues in Psychotherapy. In Ethical Issues in Counselling and Psychotherapy Practice (pp. 199-217). Springer Singapore.
If you are the original author of this essay and no longer wish to have it published on the collegeessaywriter.net website, please click below to request its removal:
- Dissertation Proposal on the Stress Problem Among the ER Physicians
- Helping Adolescents and Adults to Build Self-Esteem - Essay Sample
- Practice and Scope of Counselor - Psychology Essay Example
- Substance Addiction and Personality Disorders - Essay Example
- Sexual Assault on Campus: Forms of Sexual Assault, Effects on the Victims and Ways of Preventing
- Sociology of Mental Disorder Cases - Paper Example
- Interaction With Patient With Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder - Paper Example
- Supporting Learners with Disabilities - Research Paper on Learning
- Course Work Example on Urban Transportation
- Power and Privilege - Sociology Essay Example
- Paper Sample on Racism Issue
- Artificial and Laboratory Foods: A Threat to the Global Wellness or Innovative Solution
- Research on Environmental Services on Units to Prevent Bacterial Growth with Solid-surface Sinks and Countertops
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome - Paper Example
- Microbiology Book Review