Brief introduction of topic
The issue we are discussing is whether or not humans should eat meat. I will be for humans eating meat and Callum will be against humans eating meat.
Two Arguments for the issue
1. Without meat, we lack-Some of the biggest concerns when it comes to nutrition on a plant-based diet involve protein, iron, and zinc found in meat, along with some other nutrients found in foods like dairy, eggs, and fish.
2. What meat contains for bodily function-While seafood provides omega-3 fatty acids, protein, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin D; poultry and red meat provide protein, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin D, and minerals such as zinc, magnesium, iron. All of these nutrients are required for various functions of the body and help in their own way.
Evidence (2-4 references)
Two Arguments against the issue
Meat contains a lot of saturated fat, sodium, and cholesterol. Even though human beings require some dietary fat and cholesterol to provide energy as well as for making plasma membranes and hormones, meat has excess cholesterol and saturated fat. Therefore, excessive consumption of meat elevates the levels of cholesterol and fats in the blood, thus increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases such as atherosclerosis and heart attack. Specifically, the high saturated fat content of fats has been found to lead to arterial plaque. This is because it increases the bloods cholesterol levels, thus elevating the levels of low-density lipoprotein in the blood. High low-density lipoprotein levels lead to arterial plaque deposits, thus contributing to atherosclerosis.
Additionally, the high sodium levels in meat have been linked to hypertension as well as higher risks of developing hear failures and stroke. It has been established that processed meat has about 310mg of sodium per ounce, which is relatively high and increases the risks of developing these conditions.
Moreover, high saturated fat contained in red meat clogs the arteries, resulting in heart diseases. Consequently, by removing red meat from ones diet or reducing the intake of red meat and substituting with foods containing low levels of proteins, an individuals risk of developing heart diseases is decreased.
Meat causes kidney stones. The kidneys play an essential role in filtering blood and releasing toxins into the urine for subsequent elimination. When some foods are consumed in excess, they result in the production of waste products that impair the kidneys filtration capabilities. For example, red meats have purine which the body breaks down into uric acid. Therefore, overconsumption of red meat leads to elevated uric acid levels in the blood resulting in kidney stones.
Evidence (2-4 references)
Conclusion (what is your opinion on this issue based on your evidence and arguments
The importance of meat in our diet cannot be wished away. Meat contains essential elements, such as iron and zinc, which are needed for healthy body functioning. However, the negative health impacts of eating meat (such as increased risk of hypertension, stroke, kidney diseases, and heart attack, among others) outweighs its benefits. Because minerals contained in meat such as zinc and iron can also be found in other protein-free foods such as pumpkins and squash seeds, human beings should stop eating meat.
If you are the original author of this essay and no longer wish to have it published on the collegeessaywriter.net website, please click below to request its removal:
- Sociology Essay Example: Poverty Eradication According to John Galbraith
- Sociology Essay on Hispanic Community in the U.S.
- Research Paper on the Attitude to Homosexuality in US Society
- Connection Between Drugs and Crime - Essay Example
- Stereotype or Reality: Another Look at Alcohol and Drug Use Among African American Children. Speech Analysis.
- Argument Related to Individuality and Community - Essay Example
- Essay Example: City Life vs Country Life